Aging Positively: 8 Tips for Healthy Aging
Health & Wellness
Posted: March 18, 2019
With each new day, we progressively get older. Even though the thought of getting older can sound intimidating, it does not have to be. Aging is a part of the natural process of life. It gives us the opportunity to celebrate a new phase of life. In the golden years of life, we have much to look forward to from enjoying retirement, spending more time with family, discovering new talents and traveling. However, the biggest impactor towards our success in our golden years is our attitudes towards this glorious time. Yes, it can be a time of significant change. However, changes should not influence our ability to live the best lives that we can live! Here are several tips for healthy aging:
- Live a healthy lifestyle: Eat healthy foods that are rich in vitamin B12, fiber, Omega3, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Potassium and Magnesium. It is also important to maintain a healthy body weight and establish good sleep patterns.
- Stay connected to other people: It is important to maintain and nurture relationships with your loved ones, including your spouse, family, friends and neighbors. Focus on staying active in the community and connecting with younger adults.
- Exercise your brain: Stimulate your brain through mental activities. Keep an open mind towards learning new things and developing new talents.
- Be physically active: Daily exercise for about 30 minutes. Including aerobic exercise or strength training can help stimulate the brain and strengthen bones and muscles.
- Set goals and make plans: Goals are a great way to get out of your comfort zone. That gives you the ability to be in control of your life and ultimately leads to mastery and accomplishment.
- Think positively about yourself: In order to feel good about the world around you, think positively about yourself, and remember your identity.
- Regular medical check-ups: Visiting with your doctor annually enables you to engage in preventative health behavior. That also helps you discover any symptoms or illnesses.
- Do not worry about the small things: It’s too easy to worry about things that don’t matter. Do not let the small things affect your overall perspective on life.
Our golden years should be celebrated, and these tips will help everyone age positively and in healthy ways.
And if you’d like assistance with caring for an older adult, we’re here to help! Contact us to find out more.
Source: Psychology Benefits Society